Saturday, January 16, 2010

Departing for Florence....January 7th 2010


Cleveland Airport getting ready to leave




The group at Philadelphia airport



Waiting to board our plane for Frankfurt, Germany


Getting to Italy was quite the ordeal!  I left from Cleveland at 11:30am and arrived in Philadelphia around 2:00pm. I walked around, tried to get my phone squared away with T-Mobile and called various family members.  The flight from Philadelphia left at 4:30 pm and I was on that very long flight for 8 hours.  Ryan and I ended up on the very last row with seats that didn't recline.  Our flight attendants were extremely nice and we ended up with free headphones!  I watched "Marley and Me", "Love Happens", and "Bride Wars" which were quite entertaining!  Ironically, I did not sleep at all!  We eventually landed and were ushered down steps to the outside and put onto busses.  Then we had to wait in line with our passports to be checked in at Frankfurt, and then we had to go through security again, which was quite complicated without boarding passes.  Security was also a mess.  Both my carry-ons were searched and I had to open them.  My computer was also removed and I was taken by some German official who didn't speak any English, so they could "scan" my computer.  We were put onto another bus and taken across the airport to our plane.  This flight felt like the longest one yet!  Ryan and I saw mountains which we believe were in Switzerland.  At this time it was was 8am and we finally arrived in Florence at 9:30am!  We were ushered to our luggage at the baggage claim and Ryan and I attempted to collect our 5 pieces of checked baggage!  A lady met us VERY soon after and we were put by twos into tiny taxis.  An envelope with keys, a map, and a schedule were handed to us along with 15 euros.  This was just the beginning of what I didn't know about traffic and driving in Florence.  Keira and I immediately put our seat belts on and held on for a very crazy ride.  I was sure I would only live a day in Italy.  After a roller coaster ride we arrived at our apartments and a man carried our luggage up stairs for us. 
Finally getting off our 8 hour flight!


The girl's apartment has 4 bedrooms with two bathrooms and I actually ended up getting my own room!  Although it is very simple it has a twin bed, a night stand, a very small three drawer dresser, an armoire, and a computer desk.  The first thing our group did was find a pizzeria across our apartment and met our favorite Italian family.  They love talking to us in Italian and selling their pizza to us.  Each slice is 2 euros, homemade and is very delicious!  I have quickly learned that sparkling water is not tasty and to ask for naturale water everywhere I go!  The water is only served in bottles and there is a charge of 1.50 euros or more per bottle.  This first day consisted of being exhausted and walking all over Florence!  My first dinner was actually at McDonalds and was not very good!  Surprise surprise!  It cost over 15 dollars for two combo meals!!  After dinner I went back to my apartment unpacked, studied Italian greetings, read up on Florence, and eventually showered at 330am!  I slept till 840 am and thought that wasn't enough sleep so I slept until about 11am!  Altogether, my sleep schedule is very screwed up!  More to come about my week!

No comments:

Post a Comment